I've never really cooked fish before, so when I first tried this recipe I made J do the fish part and I did the salsa part. Last time we made it I watched him do the fish part, and next time I think I'll be good to go on my own!
This is a SUPER easy and delicious meal. We actually make the salsa by itself all the time because it is really simple, relatively healthy and very quick to whip up with just a few ingredients.
Here's the recipe if you'd like to try it out for yourself:
Tilapia with Black Beans and Corn
(originally from Ready Set Eat)
- 1 can (15 oz each)Whole Black Beans, drained, rinsed
- 1 can (10 oz each) Ro*Tel® Original Diced Tomatoes & Green Chilies, drained [We prefer to use the HOT kind to give it a kick - you can also just add a chopped jalapeno pepper to the recipe]
- 1 can whole kernel corn
- 1/3 cup sliced green onions [I don't always add these - just depends on what's in the house]
- 2 tablespoons Pure Wesson® Vegetable Oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- PAM® Original No-Stick Cooking Spray
- 4 tilapia fillets, thawed if frozen (4 fillets = 1 lb)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
Stir together first 6 ingredients to make black bean-corn mixture; set aside. Spray 10-inch nonstick skillet with cooking spray; heat over medium-high heat. Sprinkle fillets with salt, place in skillet and cook 3 minutes. Turn fillets over; cook 2 to 3 minutes more or until fish flakes easily with fork (145°F).Place fillets on plates and top each with about 3/4 cup black bean-corn mixture.
Like I said, the black bean and corn "salsa" by itself is outstanding!
Hope you enjoy this as much as we do!